KAZ ‘SEN/Dyslexia’ Typing Software
If individuals with special educational needs are equipped with the correct tools, they stand a far greater chance of reaching their full potential.
Through trials and feedback from special needs teachers across the world, it has been proven that touch typing and using a computer are formidable and even life changing tools that opens doors for individuals with special educational needs like Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Autism/ASD and Visual Impairment, as it presents a new and powerful medium for learning and communicating.
***Please note that if you are ordering a download it does not happen instantly. Your order is forwarded to KAZ UK where it is processed and sent to you directly. You should receive the link to download within 24-48 hours (public holidays and weekends excluded)
Benefits of touch typing:
Handwriting and producing a piece of work can present extremely challenging difficulties for special needs individuals and is a commonly disliked task. The level of concentration and effort involved can be exhausting and can often affect the overall structure and quality of a piece of work.
The skill of touch typing can eliminate many of these challenges and frustrations and early acquisition familiarises the user with the keyboard, allowing them to fully appreciate the tools available to them through touch typing and using a computer.
When touch typing and using a computer:
- The need for neat handwriting is no longer a priority.
- Errors can be easily corrected without messy crossings out - resulting in neat and presentable work.
- Spell checkers highlight mistakes and offer alternatives.
- Reassurance with the above boosts confidence - promoting experimentation with vocabulary and spelling and allows concentration to be focused on content.
- Quick and accurate touch typing can reduce the amount of time spent on a piece of work and often increases the amount of work produced.
- Physical dexterity is enhanced - helping handwriting skills.
- The working memory is not overloaded - the user can work at their own pace in a non-linear fashion, where they can process their thoughts first and structure them later.
View KAZ Dyslexia Version Screen Tutorial YouTube demo by clicking here
View How to use KAZ SEN/Dyslexia edition - Tutorial YouTube demo by clicking here
KAZ Type’s NEW SEN/Dyslexia typing software was developed with advice and guidance from the British Dyslexia Research Trust. Incorporating a multi-sensory approach throughout, it teaches typing skills, whilst minimising disturbances related visual stress by means of a unique preference screen - tailor making the course to each individual for maximum visibility comfort.
- Choice of coloured background/filter screens – for reducing white screen glare
- Choice of 2 specific DRT research based background/filter colours - for steading letter movement and blurring (the program has been specially adapted to replicate as best possible the effect of these coloured filters)
- Choice of 7 dyslexic friendly typefaces (including 2 licensed dyslexic fonts) – for ease of reading
- Choice of font colour – for contrast from background screen colour
- Choice of font size – for optimum visibility comfort and to minimise fusing and crowding of letters
- Choice of Keyboard – for optimum visibility comfort
Once the user has selected their preferences and can read the sample text comfortably, their options are applied throughout the course – tailor making it to their eyes for maximum reading comfort.
The program uses a unique and proven‘accelerated learning’ teaching method. Incorporating both 'muscle memory' and 'brain balance', it engages the major senses of sight, sound and touch simultaneously, radically enhancing memory retention and recall - which is why it is so effective.
Using specific combinations and progressions of just 11 words in 5 scientifically structured phrases, the method trains the fingers on both hands to work symmetrically and simultaneously – a direct result of both hemispheres of the brain working at the same time – ‘brain balance’.
With repetition, reading, spelling and vocabulary are engrained to memory and with ‘muscle memory’ spellings become a series of finger movements and patterns on a keyboard, reducing the likelihood of transposing and misspelling words.
The course is presented in a structured but light hearted manner in order to make learning fun and enjoyable. It solely focuses on teaching typing and does not include gaming or try to teach typing with other subjects, as research has proven that this splits concentration and in the case of SEN users, may overload the ‘working memory’.
The program offers both spoken and written instruction and includes ‘speaking keys’ covering the a-z keys. It is delivered in 5 short modules, in order to hold interest and concentration and once again, avoid over loading the working memory. The user is allowed to progress at their own pace, acquiring the skill and gaining speed and accuracy without even realising it. Additionally, a visual of the keyboard is always on the screen, encouraging the user to look up at the screen and not down at their fingers (so there is no need to cover hands or keyboard).
The 5 Modules Include:-
Flying Start – an introduction to the course - includes simple and consistent site navigation.
The Basics – consists of 5 scientifically structured and trademarked phrases, teaching the a-z keys and ends with a simple test, which highlights keys that are proving troublesome.
Just Do It – reinforces the a-z keys and again ends with another test, highlighting keys that are still proving troublesome.
And The Rest – teaches the punctuation keys.
SpeedBuilder – is a simple, yet discretely challenging module, increasing speed and accuracy.
The combination of KAZ’s unique ‘preference screen’ and its proven accelerated learning teaching method delivers a simple, yet dynamic course.
All software is suitable for ages 6+ and is available in Junior, Adult and Family (5 licenses for the price of 3) editions - as a ‘Software Download’ for MAC or Windows, as an ‘Annual Online Subscription and the newly launched ‘SCORM Compliant’ version, for use within VLE’s andLMS’s.
|Edition||Version||Price Inc. GST